We are scientists, artists, school teachers, concerned parents from different regions of the world, joining forces to promote transitions towards sustainability values and practices as well as human and dignified lives.The objectives of the Initiative
- To make accessible to non-specialists scientifically validated knowledge [including 'ethno-scientific' knowledge] in ways that facilitate critical engagement and encourage active use of such knowledge for the transition towards sustainability.
- To encourage artistic expression in response to scientific knowledge reflecting diverse ways of 'knowing' and articulating such knowledge.
- To enable social networking and appropriation of knowledge for understanding marine and coastal ecosystems on one hand and marine cultures on the other.
- To support the development of international cooperation among schools and other entities centered on education, acquisition, valuation and sharing of knowledge and associated activities.
- To encourage the development of didactic tools for education and self-training.
- To provide a repository for accumulating and sharing information, knowledge and experience about initiatives and activities in the public domain.
- To give exposure to works of students and other people involved with the pursuit of knowledge of the sea through exhibitions and other forms of audio-visual and written expression.
- To encourage and promote the valuation of fishing communities' social capital and cultural heritage in pursuit of sustainable relations with the sea and the coast, including through exhibitions and other forms of communication.